Will C++ be superseded by another systems programming language by the end of 2027?
26
167
1k
2027
58%
chance

Software can still rely on components written in C++ but new code is largely written in another language.

C++ can also be superseded not by one but by a fragmented ecosystem of several programming languages. There doesn't have to be a single successor.

Let's say 40% of systems are still written in C++, but the remaining 60% are split equally between language A and language B. Even though neither A or B surpass C++ individually, they would still count as superseding C++ together if both are clear alternatives.

The overall resolution criteria is that among new code written towards system workloads, C++ usage falls below 50% according to GitHub statistics on open source contributions or the annual StackOverflow survey. Note that the source for this metric can be subject to change if the numbers provided by GitHub or StackOverflow become less representative by the time the market closes.

Get Ṁ600 play money
Sort by:

I can't think of any source where this isn't already the case. A handful of sources show Go, C, or Rust on par or above C++. Add in Swift or Objective-C if you want some margin, and maybe newcomers like Zig will make a dent. Do you classify cppfront/carbon/etc as C++ ?

What's your source of github stats, there are big variations between for example languish and githut. How would you resolve if one source says yes and the other no ?

Not betting without more concrete resolution criteria. Whether this is limited to new projects versus existing systems is a huge deal

According to which source?

@MrLuke255 Most likely GitHub stats on open source contributions combined with the annual stackoverflow survey. But deciding on how to get the most representative numbers will only be possible once we get closer to market resolution.

@vberlier I feel like this really should have a nailed down resolution criteria from the outset. Depending on what metrics you pick one could make the case it’s already been superseded, or that it won’t be for at least a decade.

@spider It's possible that the criteria we would settle on today may not be as relevant when the market closes. For example stackoverflow may fade in popularity by 2027 and make the survey results less representative. I can update the market with a preliminary criteria but we would have to be able to change it for a better metric if it declines in accuracy in the future.

@vberlier You should be able to describe your method for resolution nonetheless. Instead of "stackoverflow" you could also write "the website where most programming questions are answered" or something along those lines.

Without a clear resolution criterion you could just update how you are going to resolve it by choosing a method which you subjectively think is more accurate.

@TimKuipers I did end up updating the description to specify the criteria. There will be a poll in case the criteria needs to change to stay relevant.

@vberlier What is "new code written towards system workloads"? Is that a category you can choose for GitHub statistics? Not sure if I don't understand or the resolution criterion isn't 100% clearly defined.

@TimKuipers It just means code written in languages that advertise themselves as suitable for systems programming. We'll aggregate the numbers for each language from GitHub.

@vberlier Aren’t most systems written in C++ proprietary? Is it possible to easily retrieve stats for code added to GitHub only in the recent year?

@MrLuke255 GitHub stats are still regarded as pretty representative of the industry as a whole. I'm open to suggestions if you have a better criteria in mind.

@MrLuke255
> Aren’t most systems written in C++ proprietary
big part of why I'm not betting no, even though I would guess a probability in the 8-15% range. It seems open source stuff could be a lot faster to switch.

More related questions