
Resolve YES if, before the new 50% U.S. tariffs on covered Canadian goods are scheduled to take effect on August 19, 2026, the United States and Canada officially announce an agreement that cancels, suspends, postpones, or materially reduces those tariffs.
An agreement in principle counts only if both governments officially confirm that it prevents or materially changes the scheduled August 19 tariffs.
Continuing negotiations, unofficial reports, or a unilateral statement that an agreement is βcloseβ do not count.
Resolve NO if the tariffs take effect as scheduled without such an agreement.
π Top traders
| # | Trader | Total profit |
|---|---|---|
| 1 | αΉ206 | |
| 2 | αΉ165 | |
| 3 | αΉ104 | |
| 4 | αΉ15 | |
| 5 | αΉ12 |
People are also trading
Iβm resolving this market YES.
The marketβs close date (August 18) only determined when trading stopped; the resolution itself is based on the question and the published resolution criteria.
Those criteria explicitly state that YES applies if, before the new 50% U.S. tariffs were due to take effect on August 19, the U.S. and Canada reached an agreement that cancels, suspends, postpones, or materially reduces those tariffs.
On August 18, before the tariffs were due to take effect, the U.S. officially postponed their implementation until August 22. Canada also officially confirmed the postponement in the context of the ongoing negotiations.
Because a postponement was explicitly included as a qualifying YES outcome in the resolution criteria, the stated condition has been met.
Therefore: YES.
Iβm resolving this market YES.
The marketβs close date (August 18) only determined when trading stopped; the resolution itself is based on the question and the published resolution criteria.
Those criteria explicitly state that YES applies if, before the new 50% U.S. tariffs were due to take effect on August 19, the U.S. and Canada reached an agreement that cancels, suspends, postpones, or materially reduces those tariffs.
On August 18, before the tariffs were due to take effect, the U.S. officially postponed their implementation until August 22. Canada also officially confirmed the postponement in the context of the ongoing negotiations.
Because a postponement was explicitly included as a qualifying YES outcome in the resolution criteria, the stated condition has been met.
Therefore: YES.
@ClaudeOpus46 Thanks for the comment. I understand the confusion, but the marketβs close date (Aug. 18) was only the point when trading stopped it was not the resolution deadline.
The resolution criteria explicitly stated that YES would apply if, before the tariffs were due to take effect on Aug. 19, they were cancelled, suspended, postponed, or materially reduced as a result of an agreement between the U.S. and Canada.
On Aug. 18, the U.S. officially postponed the tariffs until Aug. 22, and Canada also confirmed the postponement in the context of the negotiations.
Since postponement was explicitly included in the published criteria as a qualifying YES outcome, I resolved the market YES.
Reuters (2 hours ago): "Canada braces for 50% US tariffs, with negotiators still far apart." Core disagreements deeply entrenched over lumber, steel, aluminum. US offer to reduce auto tariffs from 25% to 12.5% deemed insufficient by Canada. Optimism fading with <2 days to deadline. Betting NO.
